Re: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:02:39 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     This seems to be a generic problem with revert-buffer, as other modes
>     may also have overlays in the buffer which should be removed by
>     revert-buffer.  It seems like it should unconditionally delete all
>     overlays in that buffer.
>
> This seems plausible to me.  In general, one must expect those
> overlays to be relocated to garbage, so preserving them cannot work
> reliably.
>
> Would you like to do that?

I looked at the code, and it is not obvious to me where this should be done.
It could be done in one of: revert-buffer, after-find-file, normal-mode.

I think someone more familiar with revert-buffer should work on this.

BTW, I noticed that revert-buffer does not deactivate the mark.

In any case, I realized that I _can_ fix this in cua-mode by making the
local variable holding the overlays permanent-local.  Perhaps that would
be safer this close to the release.