Re: Something is rotten with end-of-line and move-end-of-line

From: Lőrentey Károly
Subject: Re: Something is rotten with end-of-line and move-end-of-line
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:10:00 +0100

>     However this is supposed to be resolved: it does not appear to make
>     much sense to have both move-end-of-line as well as end-of-line do
>     exactly the same thing, one in Lisp, one in C.
>
> They are not the same; I wrote move-end-of-line because it needs to be
> different.  It was to fix a bug.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't remember what the difference is.

The difference (a difference?) is inside fields:
`{beginning,end}-of-line' moves to the beginning/end of the field,
while `move-{beginning,end}-of-line' stops at the field boundaries:

(let ((s "Test Field Test"))
  (put-text-property 5 10 'field 'foo s)
  (insert s))

Try pressing C-e and End inside "Field" to see the difference.

--
Károly