Re: Patch that adds help to isearch

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Patch that adds help to isearch
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:24:52 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:

Thanks for the explanation about why C-h is needed for an
experienced user.  I think however that enabling the help only for
the state when the search string is empty would be confusing.
I would prefer a defcustom to enable/disable isearch-mode-help on
C-h instead.  Could that satisfy experienced users?

A key definition is as simple as defcustom.  Instead of:

(setq isearch-bind-C-h-to-isearch-mode-help t)

you can put in .emacs:

(define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

The main question is what should be the default.  For novices, who
don't know how to configure Emacs, the default binding of C-h to
`isearch-mode-help' is very helpful.  More experienced users can
put in .emacs:

(define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-h" nil)

if C-h is bound to `isearch-mode-help' in isearch.el by default.
Unfortunately you need a bit more to make it useful. In the patch I sent before I also added scrolling of the help buffer. Scrolling of the help buffer is done by the keys the user has bound to `scroll-other-window' and 'scroll-other-window-down'. It is only active when the other window is the help buffer.

However the scrolling could of course be dependent on if C-h and f1 is bound to isearch-mode-help.A defcustom seems more easy to understand though.