Re: address@hidden: weird behavior of ediff with multiple displays]

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: address@hidden: weird behavior of ediff with multiple displays]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 18:53:32 -0500

rms wrote:

>     (make-frame
>        (list
>        '(name . "FOOBAR")
>        '(minibuffer . nil)))
>
> That says this frame should not have its own minibuffer.
> Emacs handles that by creating a separate minibuffer frame for
> this frame to use.  That is the right thing for it to do.
>
> Given that, can you determine whether there's a bug,
> and whether it is in ediff?

I don't think this is the right thing to do in all cases.
This shouldn't happen when there is another frame that already has a
minibuffer. For some reason emacs adds the separate minibuffer frame
when it works over the ssh tunnel and displays frames on the local
machine (while running on a remote).
It seems that it gets confused about this situation.

This is the situation that I gave in my test case.

Run
emacs-cvs -Q -q --display :0.0 --eval '(make-frame-on-display "localhost:10.0")
through an ssh tunnel, as you described, but instead of using ediff try to
eval this:

(make-frame
   (list
   '(name . "FOOBAR")
   '(minibuffer . nil)
   '(user-position . t)
   '(vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
   '(menu-bar-lines . 0)
   '(tool-bar-lines . 0)
   '(auto-lower . nil)
   '(auto-raise . t)
   '(visibility . nil)
   '(width . 1) '(height . 1)))

then when the dust settles you will see an unrequested minibuffer frame as
well.