Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:15:55 +0200

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:14:26 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     I don't see why those things need to all be fixed before we start
>     the pretest.
>
> Because we aim to make a release with all known bugs fixed.

Starting the pretest is not the same as making a release.  As others
have pointed out, the couple of bugs that are still in FOR-RELEASE can
be worked on during the pretest; as a matter of fact, the pretest
could actually _help_ us debug them because it could reveal more users
who can reproduce the bugs and provide useful information about it.

> It makes no sense to postpone debugging the bugs we know about
> in order to discover more bugs.

Of course it does: people who work on fixing bugs do that in parallel,
not sequentially.  So the more bugs are known at any given point, the
sooner will we release Emacs 22 with all those bugs fixed.