Re: Should not tutorial always use the default global map?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Should not tutorial always use the default global map?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:30:03 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

If we perhaps would just for this time let him/her go away and as an
example for humankind be more friendly we could for example add this
two lines at the end of `help-with-tutorial':

   (make-local-variable 'emulation-mode-map-alists)
   (setq emulation-mode-map-alists nil)

This would let the tutorial work just as it is supposed to do. We
could also add a line at the top explaining this. Anyone more than me
for this peaceful solution?

There is no point in a tutorial that behaves differently from the rest
of the editor.  People want to learn how to use Emacs, not how to walk
through the tutorial.

The tutorial is a tutorial for using Emacs in its "default mode", not a tutorial for Emacs in other ways. So I think there is a point, but you have to make it clear for the user.

An alternative to my above proposal is to mention this in the beginning of the tutorial and put a note in the buffer if Emacs seems to have other keymaps in use.