Re: Docstring line length

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Docstring line length
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:32:19 -0600 (CST)

Bill Wohler wrote:

   I understand why the first line shouldn't be wider than 67 characters,
   but why should most lines not be wider than 60? The reason isn't given
   here. Perhaps it should.

I guess it has something to do with it being experimentally determined
that long lines are harder to read for most people.  But in the case
of docstrings, the fact that shorter lines means more lines makes the
`C-h v' output _definitely_ more difficult to read in a pop-up window.

So I am not sure that the 60 character limit is a very good
recommendation to begin with.  (Especially if it makes the difference
between the entire `C-h v' doc fitting on the screen or not fitting on
the screen.)

Sincerely,

Luc.