Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:32:41 -0500

    1. What is the purpose of adding the condition
`enable-recursive-minibuffers'
    to `:enable' of "Visit New File..." and "Open File..."?

I am not sure.

    2. Why keymap variables are replaced with their values at the moment
    of adding a menu item?  I.e. what changes like the following achieve?

     (define-key menu-bar-edit-menu [bookmark]
    -  '(menu-item "Bookmarks" menu-bar-bookmark-map
    +  `(menu-item "Bookmarks" ,menu-bar-bookmark-map
                  :help "Record positions and jump between them"))

I think a symbol in such a position means to use its function
definition, not its value.  Thus, unless I am misremembering, the
first version would not work at all.  Was it ever really in use?