RE: hyperlinks in variable's value - links to libraries

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: RE: hyperlinks in variable's value - links to libraries
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:47:16 +1300

 > Resending. Shall I assume no one is interested?
 >
 >       ;; Hyperlinks in variable's value are quite frequently
 >       ;; inappropriate e.g C-h v <RET> features <RET>
 >       ;; (help-xref-on-pp from (point))
 >
 >     I disagree with the "fix" of commenting out this
 >     line - at the least, I would like such links to be an option.

I commented it out, rather than remove it, in case someone came up with a
better solution, not for someone to lobby to revert it.  I don't think it was
I can't remember the others.

Many variables like mode-line-format or after-load-list have a lot of
underlining, some of which isn't that helpful (a user is hardly likely to want
click on concat or user-init-file) and it makes it harder to see what you're
looking at.

I think its best not to lead users anywhere than up the garden path.  The doc
strings on the other hand can be more carefully crafted to DTRT.

 >     Although it can be slow, it is very useful: looking at `features'
 >     should be an entry point to accessing the features listed.

The links are still available on mouse-2 as help-follow, they're just not
underlined or highlighted.  Having a help-echo saying "mouse-2, RET: describe
this function" while over a feature is not helpful IMO, a hinder-echo you
could say.

Nick