Re: Encoding needed for `browse-url' URLs (IDLWAVE html help)

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: Encoding needed for `browse-url' URLs (IDLWAVE html help)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:50:58 -0700

In article <address@hidden>, David Reitter
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I got the below bug report and I found that idlwave does not encode
> the URL in `idlwave-help-html-link', i.e. if the path contains a
> space, it is not encoded as "%20".
>
> Are `browse-url'  and the function pointed to in `browse-url-browser-
> function' supposed to handle such URLs or not?
> If not, it's a bug in idlwave-mode (but possibly in other places).
>
> (Never mind the reported crash - that was due to an undocumented
> 'feature' in OS X with not-encoded URLs and the patch for browsing
> URLs with the standard browser.)

There is apparently a function `browse-url-file-url' which I overlooked,
which does this for you.  Perhaps adding this to the browse-url docstring
would be wise.  Even better would be calling it directly on file-based
urls.  It does all the encoding necessary.  CVS Emacs didn't crash under
OSX when sending file:// urls with unencoded spaces, so that must be an
AquaMacs only thing.

I'll submit this fix along with others in a version of IDLWAVE I'm
preparing for inclusion in Emacs 22 (which does away with the need for
vendor-supplied documentation and scans, among other things).

JD