Re: Encoding needed for `browse-url' URLs (IDLWAVE html help)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Encoding needed for `browse-url' URLs (IDLWAVE html help)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:50:43 +0000

On 14 Jan 2006, at 06:50, JD Smith wrote:

  CVS Emacs didn't crash under
OSX when sending file:// urls with unencoded spaces, so that must be an
AquaMacs only thing.

Correct. That's because I've patched it to open URLs with the system- wide default browser that the user has set up rather than with the application that happens to be bound to .html files. In this code, the system refused to convert the URL because of the wrong encoding, and we didn't error-check this return value.

I'll submit this fix along with others in a version of IDLWAVE I'm
preparing for inclusion in Emacs 22 (which does away with the need for
vendor-supplied documentation and scans, among other things).

Thanks.
I just found another case of a similar problem, namely in lisp/ filesets.el (line 625).