Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:00:19 -0500

> In this particular case, having looked through the relevant redisplay
> code, I don't see any apparent code stupidity going on.  It's simply
> the case that, in this file, the first "newline" takes place 340,000
> characters in.  The normally negligible delay from displaying glyphs
> in octal format (v.s. unibyte-display-via-language-environment) is
> magnified by this amount.

Oh, I see, so the "4 times more work per char" is actually not compensated
by the "4 times fewer chars" since these are not displayed anyway.

So it seems to be a plain and simple algorithmic "bug" (linear rather than
constant time complexity), which has been around for a long time already.

Given this, I agree that it doesn't have to be fixed before the release
(tho of course if someone can come up with a quick fix, that's great).

        Stefan