Re: Patch: Replacing the style of the More/Hide Rest button in Customize

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Patch: Replacing the style of the More/Hide Rest button in Customize
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 02:52:19 +0200

>> Are you sure the "More/Hide Rest" button is a link?  To me it looks
>> like a typical button where pushing performs some action.  A link for me
>> is something that leads to another place.
>>
> It is a matter of taste. Or maybe perception. I think the Customize
> buffers are easier to view with "More/Hide Rest" looking like links. And
> I do not think it is hard to understand the meaning, I have seen this
> usage in many web pages.

I've never seen a link that hides/shows parts of a page.  Instead of that,
usually the following icons indicate a place to click to show/hide:

[+] - show
[-] - hide

[>] - show
[v] - hide

You can see how good this looks in customization buffers after copying
emacs/etc/images/ezimage/doc-plus.xpm to emacs/etc/images/right.xpm, and
emacs/etc/images/ezimage/doc-minus.xpm to emacs/etc/images/down.xpm
in your Emacs source tree and restarting Emacs.

If you don't like these icons then you can try copying
emacs/etc/images/ezimage/tag-gt.xpm to emacs/etc/images/right.xpm, and
emacs/etc/images/ezimage/tag-v.xpm to emacs/etc/images/down.xpm.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/