Re: buttons for the ediff control frame

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: buttons for the ediff control frame
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:38:58 -0500

>     Understanding how to use the ediff little control frame is kind of
>     hard for first time users.
>     It might help if it had some graphical buttons...
>     A few buttons for the most used functions should be enough.
>
> Keep 'em small, please.
>
> IMO, graphics that represent the various actions might not be very
> self-explanatory. But it could in any case be good to have clickable
> buttons, even if they were really just hot text zones. Some suggestions on
> graphics/text below. The "buttons" could be hot zones in the ediff help
> buffer or in its mode line.

I don't think this is useful at all. In any case, the XEmacs version
supports a toolbar that has 10 buttons (disabled by default). If anybody
cares to port this to Emacs - fine. I myself think that this is useless and
don't feel like spending time on it.

>               -revert A, revert B
> I never use those - are they more useful than just reverting the buffer(s)?

They are not for reverting buffers. Clicking on any command brings up the
manual, which explains the purpose of the command.

> toggle ignoring (upper/lower) case [#c]
>  {graphic/text: "St=sT"}
>
> The last one is not yet in ediff, but it can be quite useful and I believe
> that Michael Kifer is working on it. FWIW, here is some code that provides
> it, for now: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ediff%2b.el.

It is already there.