Re: address@hidden: RE: Customize doc strings and tagstrings do not resp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: Customize doc strings and tagstrings do not respect \\<...> and \\[...]]
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:49:38 -0500

        >  Behavior of ` Hide Rest
        >  Uses keymap "my-map", which is not currently defined.
        >  M-x my-cmd' when foobaz is in the wind.
        >  Parent groups: Nil

This could be the most useful behavior, since it provides a warning
that the keymap is not defined at the place where you expected it to
be.  Any clueful user will realize it means the mode has a bug
and will report it, and then things will be fixed so they really work.

By contrast, if it did something else quieter, such as ignore the
specification of the nonexistent map, it would give a result that is
not what it ought to be but not so obviously wrong.  A user would have
to be really on his toes to notice and report the bug.