Re: Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Pango-like font fallback (was Re: Russian numero sign)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:11:36 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> writes:

>> unify-8859-on-encoding-mode is not relevant how to read (or
>> decode) Cyrillic characters encoded in UTF-8, nor how to
>> display Cyrillic characters decoded into
>> mule-unicode-0100-24ff charset.
>>
>> Do you really mean that you solved the display problem by
>> turning it off?

> No, there is a misundestanding.  I meant `unify-8859-on-decoding'.

So, you turned off unify-8859-on-decoding to solve the
display problem, right?

Then I think the reason why you can't see Cyrillic
characters while unify-8859-on-decoding is on is that your
-adobe-courier-*-iso10646-1 font doesn't contain Cyrillic
glyphs.

> In general, Emacs shows most basic characters OK with unify-on-encoding
> turned on and unify-on-decoding off, it's not like I need fancy
> characters regularly.  However, Pango sure does a nicer job and I hope
> your changes doing similar things get merged into the Emacs trunk.  That
> is, if another stable version is ever released.

Please note that Pango and the other modern rendering
engines use TrueType font with a help of freetype/Xft and
fontconfig libraries.  Emacs (and emacs-unicode-2 too)
currently doesn't use them, but there exists an ongoing
project for supporting TTF in Emacs.

>> Please try to select "fontset->standard" by shift-mouse1.
>> It makes "fixed" the default family, thus has the higher
>> possibility of selecting an iso10646-1 font that support
>> Cyrillic.

> This doesn't seem to have any effect.  The screen flickers
> but displays exactly the same fonts, no matter what I
> choose in the menus. Probably because I have customized
> faces, not sure.

First of all, do you have any iso10646-1 X core fonts that
support Cyrillic characters?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden