Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:52:44 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I think the manual needs to explain both levels--the first level so
   beginners can begin to understand, and the second level for precise
   thinking about counterintuitive regexps.

   I could certainly do that, but I am terribly overloaded.  Would
   someone else like to try it?

What about the following patch, which I can install if desired?

It includes one unrelated change dealing with a problem I noticed in
the process.  It moves a paragraph occurring currently in the
description of `*' to the description of `+'.  (Although, from diff's
perspective, it instead moves the definition of `+' up till before
that paragraph.  Everything is relative, I guess.)  The reason is that
the paragraph discusses the regexp "(x+y*\)*a" before the meaning of
`+' is explained.  This makes `x+y' look like is the sum of x and y.
Also the remarks in the paragraph apply to both `*' and `+'.

===File ~/searching.texi-diff===============================
*** searching.texi      06 Feb 2006 16:02:08 -0600      1.68
--- searching.texi      06 Mar 2006 23:47:42 -0600
***************
*** 235,246 ****

    Regular expressions have a syntax in which a few characters are
  special constructs and the rest are @dfn{ordinary}.  An ordinary
! character is a simple regular expression that matches that character and
! nothing else.  The special characters are @samp{.}, @samp{*}, @samp{+},
! @samp{?}, @samp{[}, @samp{]}, @samp{^}, @samp{$}, and @samp{\}; no new
! special characters will be defined in the future.  Any other character
! appearing in a regular expression is ordinary, unless a @samp{\}
! precedes it.

    For example, @samp{f} is not a special character, so it is ordinary, and
  therefore @samp{f} is a regular expression that matches the string
--- 235,249 ----

    Regular expressions have a syntax in which a few characters are
  special constructs and the rest are @dfn{ordinary}.  An ordinary
! character is a simple regular expression that matches that character
! and nothing else.  The special characters are @samp{.}, @samp{*},
! @samp{+}, @samp{?}, @samp{[}, @samp{^}, @samp{$}, and @samp{\}; no new
! special characters will be defined in the future.  The character
! @samp{]} is special if it ends a character alternative (see later).
! The character @samp{-} is special inside a character alternative.  A
! @samp{[:} and balancing @samp{:]} enclose a character class inside a
! character alternative.  Any other character appearing in a regular
! expression is ordinary, unless a @samp{\} precedes it.

    For example, @samp{f} is not a special character, so it is ordinary, and
  therefore @samp{f} is a regular expression that matches the string
***************
*** 301,306 ****
--- 304,316 ----
  The next alternative is for @samp{a*} to match only two @samp{a}s.  With
  this choice, the rest of the regexp matches address@hidden

+ @item @samp{+}
+ @cindex @samp{+} in regexp
+ is a postfix operator, similar to @samp{*} except that it must match
+ the preceding expression at least once.  So, for example, @samp{ca+r}
+ matches the strings @samp{car} and @samp{caaaar} but not the string
+ @samp{cr}, whereas @samp{ca*r} matches all three strings.
+
  Nested repetition operators take a long time, or even forever, if they
  lead to ambiguous matching.  For example, trying to match the regular
  expression @samp{\(x+y*\)*a} against the string
***************
*** 311,323 ****
  it causes an infinite loop.  To avoid these problems, check nested
  repetitions carefully.

-
  @item @samp{?}
  @cindex @samp{?} in regexp
  is a postfix operator, similar to @samp{*} except that it must match the
--- 321,326 ----
***************
*** 468,473 ****
--- 471,504 ----
  can act.  It is poor practice to depend on this behavior; quote the
  special character anyway, regardless of where it address@hidden

+ As a @samp{\} is not special inside a character alternative, it can
+ never remove the special meaning of @samp{-} or @samp{]}.  So you
+ should not quote these characters when they have no special meaning
+ either.  This would not clarify anything, since backslashes can
+ legitimately precede these characters where they @emph{have} special
+ meaning, as in @code{[^\]} (@code{"[^\\]"} for Lisp string syntax),
+ which matches any single character except a backslash.
+
+ In practice, most @samp{]} that occur in regular expressions close a
+ character alternative and hence are special.  However, occasionally a
+ regular expression may try to match a complex pattern of literal
+ @samp{[} and @samp{]}.  In such situations, it sometimes may be
+ necessary to carefully parse the regexp from the start to determine
+ which square brackets enclose a character alternative.  For example,
+ @code{[^][]]}, consists of the complemented character alternative
+ @code{[^][]}, which matches any single character that is not a square
+ bracket, followed by a literal @samp{]}.
+
+ The exact rules are that at the beginning of a regexp, @samp{[} is
+ special and @samp{]} not.  This lasts until the first unquoted
+ @samp{[}, after which we are in a character alternative; @samp{[} is
+ no longer special (except if it starts a character class) but @samp{]}
+ is special, unless it immediately follows the special @samp{[} or that
+ @samp{[} followed by a @samp{^}.  This lasts until the next special
+ @samp{]} that does not end a character class.  This ends the character
+ alternative and restores the ordinary syntax of regular expressions;
+ an unquoted @samp{[} is special again and a @samp{]} not.
+
  @node Char Classes
  @subsubsection Character Classes
  @cindex character classes in regexp
***************
*** 740,747 ****

  @kindex invalid-regexp
    Not every string is a valid regular expression.  For example, a string
! with unbalanced square brackets is invalid (with a few exceptions, such
! as @samp{[]]}), and so is a string that ends with a single @samp{\}.  If
  an invalid regular expression is passed to any of the search functions,
  an @code{invalid-regexp} error is signaled.

--- 771,778 ----

! that ends inside a character alternative without terminating @samp{]}
! is invalid, and so is a string that ends with a single @samp{\}.  If