Show/Hide Speedbar // Save Options

From: David Reitter
Subject: Show/Hide Speedbar // Save Options
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:58:28 +0000

"Save Options" doesn't save the state of the speedbar, even though the speedbar is activated via the Options menu and Save Options otherwise saves all such preferences. That's confusing and I'd say it's a UI bug.

I couldn't easily implement it though, since the speedbar is not implemented as global minor mode that just needs to be toggled. I suspect there could be a customization variable which, when set, pops up the speedbar. This variable could be toggled by the menu and it could be saved by `menu-bar-options-save'.

The alternative, i.e. moving the speedbar out of the Options menu wouldn't be so great, since it provides great and useful functionality that should be readily available. (It's nicely designed, by the way, congratulations to whoever did it.)

Also, the chosen settings (in particular what is chosen in the "displays" menu, which would be `speedbar-initial-expansion-list- name', I think), should be customizable and easily savable as default.