Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:03:22 +0100

Hello Daiki,

I'm afraid I don't understand your suggestion...

Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This is very error prone.  As I wrote before on emacs-devel: there are
>> certain situations in which using the agent will fail -- even if it is
>> available: for example: on an text console running the standard
>> pin-entry program (which uses curses) from within emacs won't work.
>> That's why I think this option should be explicitly enabled by the user.
>
>> Another problem is, that checking for $GPG_AGENT_INFO is not
>> sufficient, the environment variable will stay set, even is the agent
>> was killed.
>
> That looks a bit complicated for me.

What exactly looks complicated to you?

> Is there a choice of utilizing --status-fd output?  That is, query a
> user for his passphrase only when gpg requested (i.e. we see
> NEED_PASSPHRASE)

I don't understand this point -- with the proposed patch the user
already only gets queried for the passphrase when gpg needs it -- or
am I missing something?

While I can imagine that a solution utilizing --status-fd might be
more elegant, I don't see how this could improve usability (and I
would expect it to be rather more than less complicated).

Can you please explain what behavior you would expect from pgg, maybe
with an example?

Thanks
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Nota bene: wenn Word für Längeres geeignet wäre, würde es schließlich