Re: Icon update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:37:35 -0800

Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bill Wohler wrote:
> > "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >>I've attached some screenshots of these situations.  I think before we
> >>release this we need to find stock items for everything.  In Info mode
> >>there are also icons that don't have any stock definition, so arrows
> >>may look differently.
> > Since you're more familiar with GTK, can you please suggest a
> > specific
> > proposal?
> > While updating the icons I was thinking of stock_previous,
> > stock_next,
> > and stock_up (from GNOME) to replace prev_node, next_node, and up_node
> > respectively but wasn't sure how folks would respond to that.
>
> Can you link to them?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that.

> > This means that all calls to tool-bar-* in all modes to need to be
> > updated. It would be good to avoid this. Plus, this approach doesn't
> > scale to other systems.
> > I think it would be preferable to keep the tool-bar-* calls the way
> > they are and provide a table of Emacs icon names to the icon name for
> > the system being used. That way, Emacs will honor the user's theme
> > whether it is being run under GNOME, KDE, or Windows, without
> > requiring code changes from all Emacs package developers.
> >

> But that means that the old way of changing icons (copying a new file
> to where Emacs looks for icons) does not work.

Hmmm, you're right. I see two approaches.

1. Devise a scheme that provides the following icon priorities:

a. Personal icons
b. Theme icons
c. Emacs built-in icons

2. Use the theme as I had proposed. The user personalizes the icon not
   by adding their icons to image-load-path, but rather by adding their
   icons to the GNOME theme. We document this.

I suspect that the latter is more germane to a GNOME user.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD