Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:59:24 -0500

> If they were in the buffer itself, then they wouldn't depend on which
> buffer was selected -- they would always be displayed, so the user could
> always click on them, even while working in another buffer.  The tool
> bar changes according to which buffer is selected, just like the menu
> bar changes, because they are defined as keymaps.

That's true, but if you check my snapshot (at
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~monnier/elisp/mpc.png), you'll see that my
MPC.el uses several buffers in several windows and the toolbar is a very
natural location to put those player buttons.  I could create
yet-another-buffer and recreate a sort of toolbar manually in it (playing
with display, face, mouse-face, and keymap properties).  It would allow me
to solve my problem with the down-event thingy, but it'd be a lot more work,
since I'd have to reinvent the wheel one more time.

> If the buffer happened to display a long playlist, the header line would
> be a good place to put the control buttons.

The header lines are already used for other things,

        Stefan