Re: Moving vertical boundaries after C-x 3

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Moving vertical boundaries after C-x 3
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:05:16 +1200

Richard Stallman writes:
 >     Have you tried this?  Using the default toolkit there is no
 >     vertical line when the scroll bar is present.  This is true both
 >     with the fringe (where there are narrow margins) and without it.
 >
 > Isn't there still a short vertical line, which one can use to drag the
 > scroll bar left or right?  That is what this discussion started about.
 > That is where this matters for most users.

ISTR scroll bars weren't part of the original thread.  There is a very short
line on the mode line where one can drag the scroll bar but nothing along the
side of the scroll bar itself.

 > I don't see much benefit in making it possible to delete the
 > window with a click on that small vertical line.

When the scroll bar is not present, the window edge can be dragged at any point
along its edge.  This is for the Lucid toolkit.  Maybe other toolkits behave
differently.  Its not small, just narrow (7 pixel grabbable width?), thats why
I suggested making it wider.  Incidentally, clicking on the vertical border
is easier on a test terminal (using t-mouse-mode) because it is wider (one
character wide).

On a text terminal, the vertical border is displayed with `|' characters.  This
is historical but now that it has reverse contrast (its face inherits from
mode-line-inactive face), I think using SPC looks more visually appealing (at
least on a Linux Console).  Furthermore, the vertical border could presumably
use mode-line/mode-line-inactive face just as for the mode line.  This would
make a difference on 256 colour xterms.  Below is a patch just for the former
task.

*** dispnew.c   13 Apr 2006 09:12:44 +1200      1.362
--- dispnew.c   16 Apr 2006 10:35:38 +1200
***************
*** 2727,2733 ****
          right_border_glyph
            = ((dp && INTEGERP (DISP_BORDER_GLYPH (dp)))
               ? spec_glyph_lookup_face (w, XINT (DISP_BORDER_GLYPH (dp)))

          if (FAST_GLYPH_FACE (right_border_glyph) <= 0)
            right_border_glyph
--- 2727,2733 ----
          right_border_glyph
            = ((dp && INTEGERP (DISP_BORDER_GLYPH (dp)))
               ? spec_glyph_lookup_face (w, XINT (DISP_BORDER_GLYPH (dp)))