Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:52:23 -0400

    That's right. It is due to `tramp-register-file-name-handlers' in
    `emacs-startup-hook', which is an autoloaded function. But Tramp would
    be loaded anyway when one tries to complete a filename in the
    minibuffer, because the intention of my change is to provide
    method/username/hostname completion for remote files. "C-x C-f / <TAB>"
    would be sufficient to load Tramp.

We need to talk about this.  I don't want completion to load Tramp
in common cases that don't really involve use of Tramp.