RE: Q on performance with 10000 faces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on performance with 10000 faces
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:30:44 -0700

    Could someone please either describe how to profile or debug
    the problem locally, to see where Emacs is spending its
    cycles, or point me to some doc that describes that process?
    I'm hoping there is an easy way to do this with Emacs Lisp,
    and without installing extra development tools. (The
    alternative is to try removing libraries I use until I no
    longer see the problem, but that risks taking a while.)

I took a quick look at elp.el and benchmark.el, but it seems like you must
provide explicit functions or a package to be profiled. I'm wondering if
there is something that will let me profile the whole ball of string that I
have in my Emacs session.