Re: ChangeLog conventions: fill-column

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: ChangeLog conventions: fill-column
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:24:38 +0000 (UTC)

   ChangeLogs have 8 chars of indentation on every line, so they can be longer
   than normal.

You mean, after one quoting, they are indented 12 spaces?  That
distance tells me a ChangeLog is special.  Presumably, it does not to
you.

   Doing it in add-log means that it applies to non-emacs change logs too.
   Doing it in emacs' own change logs applies to emacs only, so it will
   not interfere with other projects.

Well, since I changed the default fill-column for 10 or 15 years
(until I decided that Emacs' shorter default made more sense), all I
can say is that you can change the default, too.  It is a suggestion
-- and in my opinion, a very good suggestion for things read on
computer monitors.  (As far as I am concerned, a shorter line length
does make sense for books printed without much interline space.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8