Re: Q on performance with 10000 faces

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Q on performance with 10000 faces
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 23:35:12 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>     How significant is the slowdown you see?
>
> As I mentioned before, with various hooks and such that I have running in my
> setup, M-x takes a couple of seconds to give me the prompt (once the palette
> has been displayed). However, response for cursor movement, mouse clicking
> etc. is not a problem. It's mainly minibuffer response that is slow.

Well, redisplay-dont-pause probably wont have any effect on that.

> That's the fault of other libraries I use, but the point is that I don't see
> any slowdown unless I run the palette code. IOW, it slows things down enough
> to be quite annoying, because I already have a lot going on. The other stuff
> going on I never notice, in terms of response, but in combination with the
> palette code, it's quite noticeable. That suggests to me that the palette
> code is slowing things down, and that slowdown is just not very noticeable
> with emacs -Q + palette.

That's odd, but I don't think we will investigate this before the release.

> In any case, even without any special attempt at optimization, the palette
> seems quite usable. I'm sure there is room for optimization of my code, even
> apart from any possible improvement in Emacs' display of faces.

Did you consider using images as I suggested.  That must be quite
trivial, and besides running faster (I assume) you get over problems
with font selection that you have now.