Re: 100% CPU on TCP servers (on Windoze).

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 100% CPU on TCP servers (on Windoze).
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:07:30 -0400

>> > Modulo security holes, of course, which is the crux of the matter.
>> In the mechanism discussed earlier there wasn't any specific way of
>> forcing connections to be local, other than using AF_UNIX sockets (on
>> Unix, GNU/Linux, etc.) or making the .emacs.server file (with the
>> authentication code) private via file permissions (which would also
>> work on Windows).

When Unix sockets are not available, I'd bind to 127.0.0.1 only
(additionally to the use of the .emacs.d/server file so as to protect
oneself from other users on the same machine, which is possible even under
w32).

> I've read that part of the past discussions, but I still would feel
> uneasy about allowing outside connections.  My firewall blocks all
> outside connections for very good reasons.

I think I agree that the default should be to only allow local connections.
And I even think that remote connections can be kept for after Emacs-22 if
they introduce any non-trivial difficulty.

        Stefan