Re: address@hidden: RE: tooltip-mode disabled prevents messages in minib

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: tooltip-mode disabled prevents messages in minibuffer]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:18:47 +1200

 > How about if you insert calls to sleep before and after the call to
 > message(0), to have the code pause long enough for you to see the echo
 > area as it's been wriiten/cleared, but short enough to prevent the
 > window manager from freezing?

OK, I found a couple of ways to stop the window manager from freezing, the
best being not to use gdb in Emacs :-(

 > All I want to know is (1) whether message(0) is called and clears the
 > echo area message, and (2) whether the TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT message gets
 > restored after that somehow.

I set one breakpoint at set_help_echo and another at Fmessage.  I then selected
the TEST menu-item using C-down-mouse-2:

  Echo Area           Stopped location
  C-down-mouse 2 -    show_help_echo       from  command_loop_1 keyboard.c:1535

cont:

  (clear)             show_help_echo       from  command_loop_1 keyboard.c:1535

cont:

 C-down-mouse 2 TEST  Fmessage             from  command_loop_1 keyboard.c:1790

stepping within Fmessage:

 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT    Fmessage             from  command_loop_1 keyboard.c:1790

cont:

 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Emacs doesn't hit show_help_echo presumably because execution has advanced
in command_loop_1 from line 1535 to 1790.