Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:53:25 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:53:26 -0400
>> From: ken <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>> >     The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
>> >     clarity and brevity):
>> >
>> >     A.1.$ ./configure
>> >     A.2.$ make bootstrap

>> >     B.1.$ ./configure
>> >     B.2.$ make
>> >     B.3.$ cd lisp
>> >     B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>> >     B.5.$ cd ..
>> >     B.6.$ make
>> >
>> >     I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
>> >     A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?
>> >
>> > Nope
>> >
>> >     Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and B.2?
>> >
>> > Yup
>> >

>> Thanks much.  Someone should rewrite INSTALL.cvs a little to make this
>> clearer.
>
> Could you please clarify what is unclear there.  The text of
> INSTALL.CVS begins with this:
>
>     Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
>     byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
>     Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap"
>     instead of just "make":
>
>       $ ./configure
>       $ make bootstrap
>
>     The bootstrap process makes sure all necessary files are rebuilt
>     before it builds the final Emacs binary.
>
>     Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
>     update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
>     procedure:
>
>       $ ./configure
>       $ make
>       $ cd lisp
>       $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>       $ cd ..
>       $ make
>
> The paragraph immediately preceding the second procedure clearly says
> that it's an alternative: ``Normally, it is not necessary to use "make
> bootstrap"...''  How much clearer can one get?

It was clear to me too. However, I think I was able to make the text
more explicit:

  Once you have run "make bootstrap", you can use the following
  alternative, quicker, procedure after subsequent CVS updates:

    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ cd lisp
    $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
    $ cd ..
    $ make

  Sometimes, certain changes require another "make bootstrap." If you
  run into compile-time or run-time problems after running the
  alternative procedure, use "make bootstrap."

I can check this in if there aren't any objections.

Also, it has been my experience that if there are problems, I also
need to run "make maintainer-clean" before "make bootstrap." Any
objections or better suggestions to modifying the latter paragraph as
follows?

  Sometimes, certain changes require another "make bootstrap." If you
  run into compile-time or run-time problems after running the
  alternative procedure, use "make maintainer-clear; make bootstrap."

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD