Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: questions on INSTALL.cvs
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:54:00 +0300

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:53:26 -0400
> From: ken <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> >     The INSTALL.cvs file gives the following commands (here numbered for
> >     clarity and brevity):
> >
> >     A.1.$ ./configure
> >     A.2.$ make bootstrap

> >     B.1.$ ./configure
> >     B.2.$ make
> >     B.3.$ cd lisp
> >     B.4.$ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
> >     B.5.$ cd ..
> >     B.6.$ make
> >
> >     I'm building emacs (effectively) for the first time.  Have run A.1 and
> >     A.2.  Do I now run B.1 through B.6?
> >
> > Nope
> >
> >     Or does A.1 and A.2 replace B.1 and B.2?
> >
> > Yup
> >

> Thanks much.  Someone should rewrite INSTALL.cvs a little to make this
> clearer.

Could you please clarify what is unclear there.  The text of
INSTALL.CVS begins with this:

    Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
    byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
    Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap"
    instead of just "make":

      $ ./configure
      $ make bootstrap

    The bootstrap process makes sure all necessary files are rebuilt
    before it builds the final Emacs binary.

    Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
    update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
    procedure:

      $ ./configure
      $ make
      $ cd lisp
      $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
      $ cd ..
      $ make

The paragraph immediately preceding the second procedure clearly says
that it's an alternative: ``Normally, it is not necessary to use "make
bootstrap"...''  How much clearer can one get?