Re: definition lines in Info - 1) link, 2) highlight

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: definition lines in Info - 1) link, 2) highlight
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:24:04 -0400

    2) A related suggestion is this (which I think I might have made already):
    highlight definition/reference lines in Info, so they stand out better. See
    attached screenshot.

    I do this in my own code, and I find that it helps readability. I use a
    slightly different background color for the line, starting after the "- ",
    and I use a different foregound color for each type name: Variable, User
    Option, Command, Macro, Function, Special Form, and Syntax Class. In
    particular, this helps you distinguish Variable and User Option visually;
    likewise, Function and Command.

    The regexp is trivial, and so far I've never seen a false or missed hit:
    "^ --? \\(Function:\\|Variable:\\|Special Form:\\|\
    Command:\\|User Option:\\|Macro:\\|Syntax class:\\)\\(.*\\)"

That sounds like a good idea, and small enough we can use it from you
without papers.  Eli, if no one objects in a few days, would you
please install?

    How about having definition/reference lines such as the following be links
    in the Elisp Info manual?

     - Variable: blink-paren-function
     - User Option: blink-matching-paren
     - Command: blink-matching-open

That is much harder; we should not think about it now.