Re: Minimized Emacs and Gnome logout

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Minimized Emacs and Gnome logout
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:35:30 +0200

Chong Yidong skrev:
> 1. Run Emacs in Gnome
> 2. Iconify (minimize) the Emacs window,
>      (e.g. by clicking on its taskbar entry)
> 3. Gnome menu -> Quit -> Log Out
> 4. Nothing happens.
> 5. Now de-iconify Emacs (e.g. by clicking on its taskbar entry).
> 6. Gnome logs out.
>
> `kill' and `kill -9' seem to work fine on the iconified Emacs, so is
> there some other signal that the Gnome logout sends that we are not
> responding properly to?
>
> FWIW, I'm using the version of Gnome that comes with Ubuntu Dapper.
> This behavior has been present for several months, but I haven't been
> able to identify the problem.

I can not reproduce this on Ubuntu Dapper.  But sometimes the session
manager hangs, and just moving the mouse will continue the logout.  Have
you tried that (i.e. move the mouse instead of deiconify Emacs)?  Can
you try KDE and see if you have the same problem?

What are your settings for sessions in Gnome, i.e. save at logout, ask
at logout and so on?

    Jan D.