Re: Minimized Emacs and Gnome logout

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Minimized Emacs and Gnome logout
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:40:37 +0200

Chong Yidong wrote:
"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

Chong Yidong skrev:
1. Run Emacs in Gnome
2. Iconify (minimize) the Emacs window,
     (e.g. by clicking on its taskbar entry)
3. Gnome menu -> Quit -> Log Out
4. Nothing happens.
5. Now de-iconify Emacs (e.g. by clicking on its taskbar entry).
6. Gnome logs out.

`kill' and `kill -9' seem to work fine on the iconified Emacs, so is
there some other signal that the Gnome logout sends that we are not
responding properly to?

FWIW, I'm using the version of Gnome that comes with Ubuntu Dapper.
This behavior has been present for several months, but I haven't been
able to identify the problem.
I can not reproduce this on Ubuntu Dapper.  But sometimes the session
manager hangs, and just moving the mouse will continue the logout.  Have
you tried that (i.e. move the mouse instead of deiconify Emacs)?  Can
you try KDE and see if you have the same problem?

What are your settings for sessions in Gnome, i.e. save at logout, ask
at logout and so on?

I investigated some more, and found that this is related to me turning
off the "use Nautilus to draw the desktop" feature in gconf-editor ->
apps -> nautilus -> preferences -> show desktop.  With Nautilus turned
on, logging out works.

Chances are, this is a Gnome bug (though as far as I know, it only
affects Emacs; an iconified xterm logs out fine).

I see this now, thanks for the clarification. I don't have to deiconfy Emacs for the logout to continue, I just need to give focus to some window, for example a gnome-terminal window. I beleive it is a bug in the Gnome version delivered with Ubuntu. This error does not happen with Fedora Core 5. I will debug this a bit further when I have more time.

   Jan D.