Customizing recentf

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Customizing recentf
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:53:14 +0000 (UTC)

I updated my w32 build two days ago to replace a late-June build (via a make
bootstrap).  The first thing I noticed was that my recentf list of recently
editted files was missing.

I use Customize to enable and configure recentf.  I have the following in my
custom-set-variables:

 '(recentf-mode t)
 '(recentf-save-file "~/.emacs-recentf")

Debugging the issue, it appears that recentf was being enabled before the
recentf-save-file variable was set.  So it was reading the (non-existent)
~/.recentf (thus an empty list of recently used files), but when I left Emacs
it was saving to the file I had customized.

If I changed the recentf-mode line to:

 '(recentf-mode t nil (recentf))

it works as desired.  However, if I customize anything, the line reverts back
to the original.  Obviously, getting rid of the save-file customization would
work too.

I dug a little deeper, and saw that activation of minor modes under customize
should be delayed to address just this issue, but the process of trying to
figure out what went wrong began to make my brain go "owwwie".

Anyone else seeing this?  I can provide additional info if it would be helpful.

This is GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2006-08-23 on ASSHOLE1

  (Yes, that is the name of my machine ;-) )

-- Michael Mauger