Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:57:47 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:56:59 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden
> >
> > Good!  Although -gdwarf-2 _should_ have produced the same effect.
> >
> > > $ gcc -v -ggdb -gdwarf-2 -g3 hello.c -o hello
> >
> > Do you get the same effect with the following command?
> >
> >    gcc -v -ggdb -g3 hello.c -o hello
>

> NO ! It says "Compiled with stabs debugging format."

Weird... but anyway, at least you have now a way to produce an Emacs
with DWARF 2 debug info.

> 0x200f213c in mark_object (arg=1569454217) at /tmp/emacs/src/alloc.c:5509
> 5509          MARK_INTERVAL_TREE (ptr->intervals);
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x200f213c in mark_object (arg=1569454217) at
> /tmp/emacs/src/alloc.c:5509
> #1  0x200f2a0f in Fgarbage_collect () at /tmp/emacs/src/alloc.c:5174

It dies in garbage collection.  Can you try debugging this using the
techniques described in etc/DEBUG (search for "GC")?

Failing that, the only idea I have is to try and find the CVS commit
that causes the crashes.  I think you said that CVS of Sep 4 did
build; if that is true, you should be able to find the offending set
of changes by successive bisections of the time period since then.
The -D switch to CVS will allow you to check-out the tree that was
current on a certain date.  It's almost certain that the problem was
caused by some change in the src directory, so you could consider only
the changes in src, at least initially.

One other idea is to try "emacs -nw", to see if the crashes are
somehow related to the graphics display.  Maybe the results will give
some ideas, I don't know.

Thanks again for working on this.