Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:48:53 -0400

    > | 1. With the cursor adjacent to the right of any bar,
    >  |   if you move forwards a line (^N), the cursor slips to column 0.
    >   | 2. Moving backwards (^P) with the cursor in the same place, however,
    >    |   doesn't have this problem - it sticks near the boundary.
    >
    > #1 is clearly a bug.  C-n should be symmetrical with C-p.

    I don't see where else the cursor can possibly go in #1.

It can go to after the bar.  That's where it should go.

      The logic of
    line-move is like this: "Try to naively move the cursor vertically
    down.  If this moves us into a new field, go instead to the beginning
    of the field (if going forward) or the end of the field (if going
    backward)."

I'm saying we need to change that logic, so that the results
will be good.

I think we need a concept of temporary goal fields to go with the
temporary goal column.  When you type the first line-move command
it should record some info about the field you're in when you start.
Then if a field with the same property appears on the line you move to,
it should be handled as if it were -- in some sense -- "the same".