Re: Emacs allocates unnecessary memory during scrolling

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs allocates unnecessary memory during scrolling
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:27:32 -0400

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> MIYOSHI Masanori <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Emacs 22 on Windows (and probably on other platforms) allocates
>> unnecessary memory during scrolling.
>
> Thank you for the bug report.
>
> Chong, can you look at it, as I don't have time to dig into it right now?
>
> Maybe a fix would be to operate with it->glyph_row = NULL as we do
> elsewhere to just do "display measurements", but that's not a trivial
> change to display_string and friends.

I'm working on several other bugs at the moment, but I'll get round to
this (unless you fix it first).

It's hard for me to debug a "allocates unnecessary memory" complaint;
the memory difference (as reported by top) doesn't seem obviously
larger to me, nor does there appear to be a performance impact.