Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:02:18 +0100

On 23 Oct 2006, address@hidden wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:00:24 +0100
>>
>> This may seem like an offbeat suggestion, but I think Emacs could
>> behave like a SSH daemon for emacsclient/server interactions..
>
> That sounds like a huge overkill to me.  Let's not forget that
> emacsclient is first and foremost for _local_ connections, and these
> hardly justify SSH.

Oh, I understand that.  Local IP connections are generally much faster
than external IP connections.  As for the data overhead, it's not
significant IMO, considering the payload is tiny.

If you mean memory overhead, it won't be that much.  People run SSH
daemons all the time, so the libraries are already loaded.

There are performance and memory hits, yes, but they are minor
compared to the gains I listed earlier.

Did I understand your objection correctly?

Ted