Re: emacsclient/server finished, documentation, raising frames

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclient/server finished, documentation, raising frames
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 02:47:27 +0100

Discussion has stagnated, but still something should be done.

So this is a little patch to implement what Jason proposed: an option
to choose whether server.el raises the frame or not when switching to
a buffer.

The patch does *not* try to raise the frame in two situations:

 - In the weird "No server buffers remain to edit" case (which, if I
understand the code correctly, only happens as a result of a user
interaction, and not by calling emacsclient, so focus is not an
issue).^(1)

 - When `server-window' is a function. It is trivial to raise the
frame also in this situation (just moving the `(when
server-raise-window ...)' out of the enclosing `if'), but I feel that
it is better this way. If the user wants to raise the frame, he can do
it easily in his function, and if not, doing it ourselves would only
cause him trouble.^(2)

Does anyone oppose to installing this patch and settling the issue for
now? We can always redesign `server-window' and `server-switch-buffer'
after the release, if needed.

                         /L/e/k/t/u

^(1) BTW, I'd like to know the use case that makes this happen. I've
had to trick Emacs into killing a server-edited buffer without
server.el knowing about it to be able to trigger this part of the
code.

^(2) Counterargument: if the user has a `server-window' function and
doesn't want server.el raising the frame, he can set
`server-raise-frame' to nil. So one way or the other is fine by me.