Re: CVS commits and logs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: CVS commits and logs
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:47:02 +0900

> Does this include the unicode-2 branch?  Is it full of
> multi-file commits where the trunk has single-file commits?

Yes.  A single merge-commit to the unicode-2 branch represents many,
many changes on the trunk (hundreds of files, often multiple changes to
each file), so I don't include changelog info in the CVS log entry at
all.  The CVS log entry more or less says "merge from trunk of
changesets X-Y."

You'll find that this is _always_ how merging is done though, regardless
of who does it, because to actually track down the separate changelog
entries, package them up, and commit each file separately would be a lot
of work, very slow, and bloat the CVS logs, all for very little gain.

-Miles

--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.