Re: Patch to allow -nw to runemacs on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Patch to allow -nw to runemacs on w32
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:20:37 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
You are right. I also just get a hidden emacs.exe if I add -Q.
Though I
would not say a sometimes hidden, sometimes crashing emacs is very good ;-)

Hmm, I don't remember saying anything about -Q. runemacs does not
crash for me with -nw; it just runs hidden.

No you did not. I just wanted to say it seems to be something in my startup files.

And at a second thought it seems natural that runemacs creates a new
window - even if it is a console window. That is what runemacs is for,
isn't it?

No. Its only purpose is running Emacs *without* a console window. It
says it so in the comment at the very beginning:

Oh, I did not read that. But what it does from a user perspective is to create a new visible window running Emacs. It would not be any big surprise if it did the same with a console window in my opinion.

The other arguments are not for Emacs. It does not know what to do
with "-high", "-low" or "-wait"; so runemacs processes the argument
and skips it. But -nw is to be understood both by runemacs (if your
patch applies) and Emacs, so processing it only if it's the first is a
no-no (or you'd have to document it).

Yes, that is right. But it is quite normal for the options to come first. See for example grep:

    Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE] ...

I think most users will put the options first even if emacs does not require it.

Yeah. As H. L. Mencken said: "For every problem, there is a solution
that is simple, neat, and wrong." :)

I believe that is a surprisingly simple, net and right solution to something.