Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:37:08 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/9/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>     - time 0: Emacs 1 starts its server.
>>     - time 1: Emacs 2 starts its server, overriding Emacs 1's server.
>>
>> Isn't that already a problem?
>> Shouldn't we prevent this from happening, somehow?
>
> I agree. I don't like Emacs 2 blindly overwritting Emacs 1's server
> (or socket) file.

I hate that too.

I typically have a "master emacs" instance running all the time.
Sometimes I start another instance (e.g. in a terminal window)
just to make some small change to a config file - and blammo -
the server is no longer associated with the master emacs.

But is this the right time to change this (it's been like that for
ages).