Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:38:52 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe you misunderstood what I said? If emacsclient starts emacs the
> way I have proposed then there is no need for the startup files for
> emacs (.emacs etc) to start emacs server. That is taken care of by
> emacsclient.
>
> If you in such a setup want to start a second emacs then you can just
> start emacs the way you do it today. There will be no trouble with
> emacs server then since the emacs you start this way simply does not
> care about emacs server.
>
> Or, did I misunderstood you?

I think we mis-communicate...

You talk about emacsclient _starting emacs_ and instructing that emacs
to start the server, so emacsclient can talk to that emacs.  I
understand how that works nicely with e.g. Windows' Explorer and file
associations, and how subsequent calls to emacsclient will talk to
the emacs started by the first emacsclient.

But in my case, I _always_ have emacs running (not started by
emacsclient), so I want emacsclient to talk to that emacs -- how do
you do that without starting the server (e.g. in .emacs) before
running emacsclient?