Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:05:40 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:40:22 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Only a fractional part of the build is about compiling C files.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the relevance of this,
even if it were true that C compilation is only a small fraction of
the build.  There's nothing to prevent a parallel build from compiling
2 Lisp files at the same time, is there?

> Most of the time is spent inside emacs byte-compiling Lisp files,

Btw, byte compilation is only relevant to bootstrapping.  A normal
build of an Emacs tarball spends mots of its time in C compilation, I
think.  Don't you agree?