Re: How about a new pretest?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: How about a new pretest?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:41:13 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> I think we should try to fix these two problems now.  The first one
>> should be easy.
>>   ** make-network-process :nowait t doesn't work for non-local
>> targets
>>    on Windows.
>>
> I have looked at this several times myself in the past, and others
> have looked since and made some more progress, but it isn't as simple
> as it should be.

No, but it doesn't seem too complicated either.

The code would look pretty much like the _sys_wait_accept code (using
FD_CONNECT rather than FD_ACCEPT).

In sys_connect, we would have to arrange for the reader_thread to
first wait for _sys_wait_connect (e.g. by a new flag FILE_CONNECT
set by sys_connect if FILE_NDELAY is set).

Finally, sys_select would have to look into wdesc too, basically just
waiting for the status to change to STATUS_READ_SUCCEEDED (and do
the obvious things in that case).

Btw, I noticed that the way the reader thread does "recv 1 byte" to
wait for input means that for a datagram socket, it actually discards
most datagrams.  So it would probably be better to use FD_READ to
wait for incoming data on sockets...

Well, I might give it a shot after Xmas.