Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:22:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It takes quite a while for this to show up. Task Manager says that explorer.exe holds 9,999 GDI objects when it does and each menu access adds 4 to that figure (before it hits the roof).
I cannot reproduce this ``4 objects for each menu access'' problem: on
my system, the count goes back down after the menu is closed.
Did you turn StickyKeys on?

No, of course not.  Are you saying that the problem with start-process
happens only when StickyKeys are on?

I am saying that it is a bug in MS Windows that is there only when StickyKeys is on. When StickyKeys are on 4 GDI obj are lost on each menu access.

I hardly ever use explorer.

Then how come you accumulated so many GDI objects for explorer?

I think that depends on how MS Windows organize its windows. Some windows, like menu windows and message box windows are owned by explorer.