RE: pp-eval-expression broken

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: pp-eval-expression broken
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:52:58 -0800

I said:

> `pp-eval-expression' was apparently changed to no longer evaluate its
> argument. It evaluates only when called interactively. This breaks all
> Lisp calls to `pp-eval-expression' (except those with
> `call-interactively).
>
> This seems to have been changed by RMS on 2006-10-18:
>
>  "(pp-eval-expression): Use `X' to read value.
>  Non-interactive arg is the value, not the expression."
>
> PLEASE reverse this change. Why was it made?

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so strong about the request, and no doubt
there is a good reason for this change. But I'd still like to know what the
reason is.

It seems odd to me that the command would treat its arg differently, evaling
it if interactive and not evaling it otherwise. The function is
named -eval-, but it doesn't always eval.

And, as I said, this will break any existing Lisp calls to the function.
Those have been fixed in vanilla Emacs (22), but outside libraries will need
to adjust, especially if they try to work with multiple Emacs versions.