Re: abbreviate-file-name on Windows seems incorrect

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: abbreviate-file-name on Windows seems incorrect
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:29:37 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Cc: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:44:10 +0900
>>
>> In particular, doing (setenv "foo" ...) allows $foo to be used when
>> visiting files (i.e. substitute-in-file-name sees it),

This works on Windows (at least for me).

This is very convenient; the files Emacs finds via environment
variables is the same as the files that subprocesses find via the same
environment variables, even when those environment variables are set
from within Emacs. So I can change what I'm working on without leaving
Emacs.

>> and doing (setenv "HOME" ...) changes how expand-file-name expands
>> a tilde.

This does not happen on Windows (for me). I don't have a non-Windows
emacs handy to try.

It seems appropriate for Emacs to "latch" the value of $HOME at
startup, so the location of .emacs doesn't change, for example. There
are other files that are located in $HOME as well; you don't want them
moving around either.

But it is inconsistent with the handling of other environment variables.

>> If this doesn't happen in windows, it seems like a bug...
>
> I tried, and it does happen on Windows, of course.

Which of the two tests did you try?

--
-- Stephe