Re: addtorecent.py (was: Recent documents: Emacs and GNOME integration)

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: addtorecent.py (was: Recent documents: Emacs and GNOME integration)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:03:10 -0800 (PST)

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-05/msg00943.html,
>
> "Yes.".  I believe it is reasonable to implement that
> (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pz215/files/addtorecent.py) with xml.el, at
> least if the output support in xml.el is enhanced a little bit.  (In many
> practical cases it would be easy with the current xml.el.)  My first, very
> small, step in that direction was a patch in a recent message of mine;
> I'll work on the more substantial changes to xml.el and the add-to-recent
> function at some point soon (bug me if nothing happens).

Next step: I've reimplemented addtorecent.py as addtorecent.el (attached)
with xml.el, without enhancing the latter at all (which means that such
things as ampersands in file names will cause malformed XML to be output).
 The result is nearly trivial in that it is purely a utility function and
not a feature, but it does DTRT in terms of manipulating XML as data
rather than as text.  If anyone's interested in combining it with the
feature-providing code from the last iteration on this topic
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-05/msg01625.html), go
right ahead; otherwise I'll work on combining them and improving xml.el to
provide robust output capabilities (as well as, perhaps, more convenient
node access and modification functions).

Davis

PS - Once again, will someone check the trivial patch to xml.el included
at the link in my own quoted message?  It's the first bit towards making
its output useful.

shipping.