Re: Image mode

From: Chris Moore
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:46:40 +0100

>     - One function in magic-mode-alist autodetects image types that do not
>       make sense to edit (jpgs, pngs, etc).  If the result is ambiguous
>       (as determined by checking auto-mode-alist), prompt the user about
>       whether to use image-mode or the non-image mode specified by
>       auto-mode-alist.
>
>     - A second function autodetects image types that do make sense to edit
>       (ps, xpm, xbm).  If autodetected, set up the editing mode and turn
>       on image-minor-mode.
>
>     - Otherwise, use auto-mode-alist.
>
> I have no objection to this method.

If I open a file called just 'readme', I would be very surprised to
see it opened as an image.  'readme' doesn't match anything in
auto-mode-alist, and so presumably wouldn't satisfy your ambiguity
condition.

I would rather not be surprised like this.

If you define 'the result is ambiguous' to include the case where
magic-mode-alist says 'this is an image' and auto-mode-alist says 'I
know nothing' then I also have no objection to this method.